Wednesday 13 November 2013

Run, Fatty, Run

               
      
Running is something I've simply never done before. I've always had asthma which can really leave me struggling to breathe during exercise, so doing a lot of cardio has never appealed. I've also never entirely trusted running as a sport - it looks tedious and harsh on your knees, unlike lower impact activities that are done with friends like rowing or hockey.

Around the 30 years old mark seems to be when sports hobbies become very popular though - certainly among my friends anyway. My entire facebook feed has moved on from the posts about trendy cocktail bars and hangovers and is now full of weddings, baby pictures, new fancy bikes and sponsored marathons.

A friend of mine tried out one of the 'couch to 5k' apps on her phone recently that provide a structured running programme to get you from doing no exercise whatsoever to being able to run 5k. As a result she's become frighteningly addicted, and seeing her slimming down at the same time as getting hooked on it has been tempting me to give it a go. Then I found a 'Zombies, Run' app that has a 0-5k training programme with a storyline and zombie chases where I get to save Abel Township from the undead hordes. SOLD.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it the first few times. Unfortunately the past month in the office has been so ridiculously busy I've barely run at all which means although I hope to get back into it now things are calmer, I've not really improved my fitness at all. Then a friend from work told me about the Cambridge Fun Run on 15th November for Children in Need. It's a relay race in teams of 4, each person running 1.1 miles around the Cambridge Science Park. He'd already signed me up. 

So that's what I'll be doing on Friday morning. I'll be exhausted and sweaty, having an asthma attack in the middle of the science park in front of my colleagues. HELP.

No comments:

Post a Comment